Shelby and I tease each other daily, something we have done since the day we met. If teasing were a love language we would be perfectly matched. Our teasing has brought us through some very hard times in our marriage; it has also been a source of strength when the chips are down. It is worth mentioning that in such times he has learned over the years to cautiously ask “are you stable?” but really what he is asking is this, “If I poke fun at you, will you find it playful and not take offense.” For the record, 99% of the time I do take it well and this morning was one of those times as I am still laughing as I write this.
We still don’t know if we will be traveling soon and as the days creep on and the uncertainty mounts, I have become weary. But, I have not lost my sense of humor! As Shelby went through his to do list before work today he said “I will get to that once my life settles down a little,” and I thought I heard “I will get to that once my wife settles down a little.” I asked, did you say wife or life, and he said “yes!”
And of course he is right on both accounts, but more so about the fact that I need to settle down a little. And after another week of awaiting news, a few meltdowns, and humbling myself before our God, I agree.
And so I hold tight to this verse this morning….
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4: 6-7
Shelby’s parting teasing words this morning were, “I hope you learned your lesson!” It was meant to be a funny reminder that a year ago I told God I would do ANYTHING he was asking. ANYTHING!
ANYTHING, has been filled with lots of lessons. It will be months and even years before we fully understand what lessons we are learning in this journey. But, all jokes aside, so far ANYTHING, has been amazing and exhilarating!