“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”1 Cor 13:13
We've had a few good weeks; no, they have been GREAT weeks. Weeks where my 6 year old has not had one melt down, weeks where we've seen his joyful spirit shine so bright, weeks where we were as close to “normal” as we will ever strive to be. I am writing this down so I will remember that these kinds of days and even weeks do exist in our world. What kind of world is this? It is a world where daily my son needs reassurance that we are still present, still willing, still ready, and still loving. Yes, five years later he still needs this reminder and thirty plus years later I still need this reminder. The reminder that no matter what we do, what we say or how we act, that we are still loved. Still Loved! Can you image what that would be like for any child, well I can. When I am sitting in his closet, prying him out of a fetal position and wiping his tears, I can.
And when I want nothing more than for God to give me the capacity to just love this beautiful child that God created for me to care for, I too need someone to pry me out of a fetal position and wipe away my tears.
My heavenly father, thank you for doing that for me. For wrapping your arms around me and reminding me that you still love me. Thank you for filling me with grace and compassion to still love the people in my life that you have blessed me with. Thank you for great weeks in front of bad days so that I can have perspective and I can gather strength to keep moving forward. Thank you for never giving up on me. Amen.