I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. ~ Psalm 16:8
Last week we experienced our first real earthquake and while we were a little shaken up over it, I noticed that the Americans that live in my community were not. We were told that earthquakes are very common here, so later I looked up just how common. Last year alone there were over 30 earthquakes in Nicaragua. I now understand why they were not shaken, so I waited for the aftershocks and decided I too would not be shaken!
I am trying to apply this to my new family life as well. Over the past week I have experienced many emotional earthquakes in dealing with the hurts and healing of the girls. For every great moment is usually followed by many not so great ones. Some are worse than others, but I have seen progress over the last few weeks. The outbursts are fewer, last less time, and are followed up with hugs from them. The biggest progress has been that our night time routine is filled with laughter instead of tears now.
I look at families that have adopted older children and sometimes wonder if they too have gone through emotional earthquakes with their children. I am sure they have! And just like my American friends here in Nicaragua that experienced so many actual earthquakes, my friends who have adopted have learned to not be shaken.
During the difficult moments this verse reminds me “the Lord is always with me.” We will all experience tremors, major earthquakes, and aftershocks throughout our lives. In regards to this adoption process, I hope the biggest of quakes are behind me. And for all of you my friends, my prayer this day is that you too will not shaken!