Back to school we go


It’s another new school year, filled with hope and another year closer to graduation.   It’s me telling myself, “maybe this year we will do it well and keep our "stuff" together the entire year”. The new shoes, freshly sharpened pencils, clean back packs, and the excitement that comes with beginnings.  I have always loved this time of year and as a mom I really enjoy watching my kids as I send them off to their next great adventure (away from home for a few hours a day)!  

But, this morning I was filled with many emotions as I scanned through Facebook and saw all the pictures of smiling children ready to take on another year.  It was that painful reminder that not every “back to school” post tells the whole story. 

So here is mine;

I sent three of my children off this morning on the bus.  I am confident that two of them will have a great day and somewhat uneasy about the other.  He is starting a new school and has been filled with anxiety over his new beginning.  I also have one child that is missing from our traditional back to school photo shoot.  It is the missing photo that prompted me to write this morning. 

Last spring, we made the very difficult decision to have our middle child get help outside our home.  She struggles with severe Reactive Attachment Disorder and a few other intellectual and emotional challenges.  She started school last week, but there was no first day of school pep talk or photo.  School for her is filled with many complexities and the start of this new school year has left her feeling out of control.  This year she is in a place that can help her navigate some of those feelings.  We are thankful, but today I am filled with unexpected emotions around her absence of our annual tradition.

As you scroll through to see all the wonderful back to school pictures of smiling children, please remember that Facebook pictures and posts rarely tell the whole story. 

Remember that behind those smiling faces are real fears and big emotions.  For some of them, school will be hard.

Remember that on the other side of the camera are the parents and family members trying their best to make good decisions for these kids.  And just minutes after the pictures were taken and the kids got on the bus, many of those adults fell into a puddle of tears or burst into excitement.  Maybe the kids did too!

Remember that when they get off that bus at school, there are teachers and staff that have dedicated their year to educate and help our children learn and grow. They too have big feelings about the start of a new school year.

Remember that each child has unique needs. If your child will get through today and/or this school year with ease, praise God for that.  And if they won’t, grab a cup of coffee and have a good cry and then praise God for the strength He has given you to face another school year.