Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to
serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. 1
Peter 4:10
I was reminded of this verse while visiting with my dear
friend this past week when she came to Nicaragua . I didn’t ask her to come, but I needed her
too and I know God asked her for me! I was having an especially difficult week
and on one of my most difficult days she felt God calling her to come to me and
a few days later she was here.
This friend uses her gift of hospitality and friendship to
serve others and serve them well. She
opens up her home and heart to everyone she meets and on a moments notice she
will travel hundreds of miles to spread joy and love to her friends. As I
reflect on our time together I can’t help but learn from her obedience in using
her gifts. She is proof that God will
use acts of kindness to shed His grace on the world.
Peter knew this, but we also know that he struggled with
this at times. I can relate to Peter and his growth towards maturity in
Christ. He sometimes stumbled in
obedience, but in this particular verse you can tell that he understands the
importance of these gifts as part of God’s grace in our lives. What an amazing thing!